Thursday, April 30, 2009

The I Word

I finding it rather redundant to record my food diary on sparkpeople.com and then here so instead of using this blog for food/exercise journaling (so I am so faithful on sparkpeople) I am altering my purpose to be a place where my issues with health/exercise/eating right are shared openly and honestly. And in that spirit...

Last week something happened while I was exercising. I was shocked at first. Bewildered really. I had know idea what was going on. It just happened. So suddenly. It happened only once - last week. Then it happened again - two days ago and then just yesterday. 

Incontinence.

I didn't know how it happened at first. I felt no urge. I just noticed after it happened that I was wet - wetter than from just sweating. I realize this may be TMI but when I began doing some google research on the topic I read how so many women believe they are the only ones experience incontinence that they are ashamed. It's not a shameful thing. In fact, it's quite ordinary for women of all ages, especially during exercise. And that's when it happens for me.

What to do about it? Kegels! Remember Kegels? I learned about Kegels during my first pregnancy. Obviously I haven't been practicing what I learned about 18+ years ago. But Kegels are the best form of repair and prevention of incontinence. There is surgery but that's too invasive. 

So while your sitting at your computer, typing away, reading away ... do your Kegels!

1 comment:

  1. Haven't had my computer for a few days...so haven't read the past posts...it's good we'll be together in a couple of weeks. It probably won't be a long enought time. Looking forward to being with you. I always thought kegels exercise was for stopping at red lights. What happens when you don't drive anymore???

    ReplyDelete