Monday, April 6, 2009

Where I've Been -- the Perfect Storm

Last week started with a wimper and ended with a bang. We had two funerals, Tuesday and Wednesday respectively, and that means funeral dinners for me to arrange. My healthy eating plan goes out the window on those days. We traditionally serve ham/fried chicken/an assortment of casseroles/lots of desserts. Leftovers usually come home with us. And there was lots of leftovers - especially cakes. And I had a few, or more. So that is one component of the Perfect Storm.

Factor number two was the computer hard drive dying. I rely on sparkpeople to record my eating diary. It calculates calories so I know where I am mid-day, how many calories I have available for dinner. Without that ability to record all those cakes I let myself eat more, because ignorance is bliss! Not!

Item number three - my hip went out. The Friday before I began feeling a twinge of pain in my right hip. By Monday the pain was shooting down to the knee. I got in 6 miles of walking on Monday, just barely. Tuesday I was hobbling along and had to be on my feet for most of the day, with the funeral. I could barely walk and was in PAIN. I knew I had to go to the chiropractor. Dave scheduled an appointment for Wednesday. Wednesday morning I awoke to no pain. Wouldn't you know it but by mid morning I was back to hobbling. My appointment was for 2pm. By 2:30 I was pain free and was told not to exercise for two days. It was amazing. I got off the table a new woman. I highly recommend chiropractic medicine.

So Friday I returned to exercising (got 20 miles in last week) but was not recording in my food diary - the hard drive was back on line only this Sunday. So here I am now - back in the saddle and more than ever aware that falling off the wagon is very easy. I sometimes feel confident that my new healthy eating/exercise habits are in concrete but then days hit, like the Perfect Storm, that remind me of the razor's edge. I am weak.

Because of the many indulgences of last week I am feeling the intense need for detoxing. After Easter I will be going back to the 11 day detox diet with which I kicked off the new year.

Breakfast
1 1/2 c. oatmeal
1/3 c. blueberries
1 T brown sugar
2 T sliced almonds

Lunch
4 c. tossed salad with 2T light italian dressing
3 boiled eggs
2 ginger muffins

Dinner
2 chicken enchiladas
1 c. broccoli
2 c. spinach salad with 1 T light italian dressing
2 ginger muffins

Exercise: 7 miles with Leslie (82 min)

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness.. I knew about some of it.. but wow. What a time you have had!!! I am so glad you are making it out the other side and got right back on track!!! You may have stumbled... but it is clear that you will succeed. Everyone will eventually get knocked off track. EVERYONE. The difference is.. some people get back on track.. others just quit.

    Welcome back!!

    ReplyDelete