Friday, January 23, 2009

Day 43

We had a funeral dinner today. Wrecked the momentum of my good eating.

Funeral dinners are Aidan's favorite church event. There's fried chicken, ham, rolls, angel food cake and Texas sheet cake. He's in heaven and eager to help serve, anticipating the rewards to come.

I, however, dread the menu. I love jello salads. I don't make them - ever. I consider them dessert but here in the midwest a jello salad is a salad and therefore placed next to the garden salads and slaws. I don't know why. There's absolutely no vegetable in any of these salads. They're made with gelatin, strawberries (or some other fruit), marshmallows, and cool-whip. Anything with cool-whip means dessert. And because I never make jello "salads" and I didn't grow up with jello "salads" I eat them at funeral dinners. I like them - a lot. But today I had --- none, nada, not.a.bite. I did have fried chicken (peeling the fried part off) and some banana split dessert. Then I saw home-made peach pie and thought, "Wow, homemade peach pie!" So I wrapped up a piece to enjoy at home. After dishes, cleaning counters, and storing leftovers I returned home to enjoy my dessert - my deserved, rewarded dessert. Dave gave me the harry eye-ball as I unwrapped the cellophane.

I said, "What!"

So I took a bite. It wasn't that satisfying. Not that fantastic of a pie. But it has been so long...

So I took another bite. With each bite I was trying to persuade my taste buds that this was sooo worth it. But it wasn't. I stopped after 4 bites. Placed the plate down and walked away. It was enough. I threw the rest away. Didn't need the temptation.

Breakfast
Berry smoothie

Snack
2 boiled eggs

Lunch
2 chicken thighs, fried, skin removed
1.5 C. salad
1 C. cauliflower/broccoli salad
1/2 C. Banana split dessert
1/2 piece peach pie

Dinner
3 c. romaine salad with peppers and yellow squash
8 oz veal burger

No comments:

Post a Comment